Thursday, June 13, 2013

Scallop Newburg Pasta


 I have so many fond memories of cooking with and watching my grandparents cook. This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe for Lobster Newburg that my grandmother made.When I was growing up my Grandmother would serve Lobster Newburg over toast points. And I LOVE it that way, but I was feeling pasta with seafood.

 Lobster is one of my favorite foods in the whole world. But let's face it, Lobster is EXPENSIVE. Scallops are a little cheaper and you can get some pretty good ones in the freezer section at your grocery store. I definitely prefer fresh seafood when I can get it, but for this recipe I used frozen scallops. This would also be very good with shrimp or even a mixture of seafood.




Saute scallops in garlic butter

 Flip over half way though cooking to brown both sides


 Use enough milk to make a nice thick sauce that will coat your noodles. 
Looking back on this photo, my scallop to sauce ratio is a little off and I need some more scallops in there...

 And serve over noodles. 





Scallop Newburg Pasta
-adaptation of Lobster Newburg-
(adapted slightly from recipe used by my Grandmother)
2 C scallops, halved if large scallops
*seasoned flour for dredging
about 1 C milk
2 T garlic butter (I make my own-click here for the recipe)
hot cooked noodles-I used egg noodles
Dredge scallops in seasoned flour. Heat the garlic butter in a large skillet over med heat. Add scallops and fry until done, flipping once halfway through cooking. They cook pretty quickly so they should only take a few minutes. When scallops are done add enough milk to make a nice sauce. Sauce should be thick enough to coat the noodles. If it’s too thick add a little more milk at a time until you get the consistency you’re looking for. Serve over noodles. If you like you can serve over buttered toast triangles like Gram did.

*Seasoned flour*
about 1 C flour
pinch of salt and pepper or to taste
1-2 t garlic powder
1 t paprika (for color)
Combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic and paprika in a shallow dish.

Enjoy!                                            

Sandi 

No comments:

Post a Comment