Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake

I had a couple pints of blueberries that I was trying to find the time to use - naps have been sporadic lately - and I kept thinking I'd like to try a buckle/slump type of thing with them. Then I remembered a King Arthur Flour recipe that I had tried a while back, which I remembered being pretty fast and really tasty, so I decided to look it up again. This time I made a few changes to make it more 'my own' and I was really happy with the results. Hubby liked it so much that the entire 9x13 pan was gone in just two days! 

Because I was racing the nap clock on this one, I skipped the play-by-play photos to make sure I could get it done, but I got one right after I took it out of the oven - you can see the lovely browned topping that was so tempting I snitched a couple of the larger clumps right then and there! 
I doubled the original recipe because I know how much hubby likes anything with blueberries. I used half whole wheat flour, and a smaller amount of brown sugar rather than the white the recipe called for, and I added some oats to the topping. Since we are dairy free, I used a 6 oz container of plain coconut-milk yogurt with 2 oz of rice milk to make the rest of the cup of milk. This makes a huge difference in the texture, it's more like using buttermilk, whereas using all rice milk is a bit like using water. By far my favorite alteration was to replace 1/4 of the amount of vanilla with lemon extract - this gives the cake a very light citrusy sweetness, but doesn't make it actually taste like lemon. I highly recommend this as a 'secret ingredient' in any fruity baked goods calling for vanilla.
And here is the recipe to make it as I did:

Batter
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
6 oz plain coconut-milk yogurt
2 oz rice milk
4 cups fresh blueberries

Blend the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Stir together the yogurt and rice milk in a measuring cup. In a large bowl cream together the sugar, coconut oil, eggs, and extracts. Alternately add small amounts of the flour mixture and milk to the mixing bowl, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in blueberries.

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix dry ingredients, blend in oil until mixture is crumbly.

Preheat oven to 375*. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Spread batter into prepared pan, then sprinkle/crumble topping over the batter. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!                                            
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment