Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

This recipe was going to be part of a cupcake recipe. Well the cupcakes didn't turn out how I wanted them to. The recipe needs some tweaking and I will post them at a later date when I get them the way I want them. So for now I thought I would share with you this deliciously sweet and tart cream cheese frosting and the story behind it.

It was quite an ordeal, let me tell you. First of all, it took me two days to complete this....
I got all the cake ingredients pulled out and measured and our toddler, who started out in a good mood, turned into Captain Cranky Pants on the day of this experiment and decided he wanted mommy's undivided attention. So I had to pause for a few hours. This is why I usually bake/experiment when he is sleeping...

Once he decided he was ok with me being in the kitchen I mixed up the batter and he was enjoying watching the beaters spin around in the bowl. Now, I needed quite a bit of lemon zest for the cupcakes-1 Tablespoon- Plus I needed another 2 teaspoons for the frosting. Well apparently I had freakishly small lemons....I just barely got the 1 Tablespoon I needed for the batter with 3 lemons....so minus the expletives I was thinking (not saying...toddler in the room...) Great! No more lemons... Frosting waits until tomorrow. I texted my husband and asked him to bring home lemons. Once I had the lemons (which by the way turned out to be normal lemons and I got the 2 teaspoons needed with 1 lemon) it was too late to deal with frosting so I did it the next day. The frosting turned out exactly as I wanted it to.




Beat the cream cheese, butter, lemon juice and zest until light and fluffy.


 Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until just blended
(I did it in 3 increments so my black shirt didn't become white...) 


 Chill for at least 1 hour before using. And store frosted cake or cupcakes in the fridge. 

 I love that you can see the zest in the frosting. 



Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 T butter, softened
3 t lemon juice
2 t lemon zest
3 1/2 C powdered sugar

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat on high speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat on low speed just until combined. Chill for at least 1 hour before using.


Enjoy!                                            
Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment