Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I admit, I used to buy the prepackaged taco seasoning in the spice isle in the grocery store.  Have you ever actually read the ingredients list and nutrition info on those spice mixes? There is so much superfluous (I think that may be my new favorite word) crap in prepackaged spice mixes, well anything prepackaged really. Not to mention that they are LOADED with TONS of salt. So about a year ago I made my own homemade taco seasoning. I make spice mixes for other things too, but those will be in later posts. There is so much less salt and I know what's in it because I made it. 

This recipe makes enough for 1 lb of meat for tacos. You could also make a whole bunch of it and store it in an airtight container so it's all ready for you when you make tacos or burritos. Or even fajitas if you wanted. I'm working on my own fajita seasoning. 


You'll need dried Oregano, dried Chopped Onions, Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, and Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning


Combine all the spices in a small bowl


And stir to combine

Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 T garlic powder
1 t cumin
1 t paprika
1 t chili powder (if you have Mexican Hot Chili Powder it will add a nice little spicy kick)
1 t dried minced or chopped onion
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning
1/16 t cayenne pepper (add a little more if you like spicy taco seasoning)
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Use entire amount for 1 lb meat.
*Or you could make a whole bunch and store in an airtight container and stir before using to re-distribute the spices. Use just about 3 T for 1 lb of meat.


To make Taco or Burrito meat:
Cook meat (ground beef, ground chicken or turkey, chicken chunks etc) until done. Drain off any fat and add spice mix. Stir to combine and add 1/4-1/2 C water. Add more water as needed if you need a little more moisture. Cook for a few min and serve.


Enjoy!                                            
Sandi


No comments:

Post a Comment