Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cornbread

I am a huge fan of cornbread. So is my husband, as he will invariably ask me "You gonna eat yo caawnbread?" if he finishes his before I finish mine. Or even if he still has some, but thinks he will want more... so pretty much every time we have cornbread I hear this. 

Several years ago, I got tired of trying prepackaged mixes, so I started trying various recipes to make it from scratch. And of course, I couldn't find one that gave me exactly the taste and texture I was looking for, so I pulled ideas from a few different ones and created my very own recipe to which I am now completely devoted. 

Start by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl. 

In a large measuring cup, thoroughly blend all the liquids, then pour into dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Pour batter into pan of your choice. I prefer to use my silicon loaf pan because a) I don't have to oil it first, and b) I like the shape of the finished cornbread - just the right height to be nice and moist inside with a tender-crisp crust.

Bake at 400* for 20-30 mins or until the crust turns golden brown and begins to crack, and a toothpick inserted in the center tests clean. Turn out onto a cooling rack or directly onto a board.

Allow to cool slightly before slicing, but please do enjoy while warm to experience love at first bite. 

Keep leftovers in an airtight container, and refrigerate if kept more than one day as the 'buttermilk' will make it more apt to spoil. Leftovers make beautiful toast - so nice and crunchy. If you happen to also have lemon curd, the combination is absolutely heavenly!

Cornbread
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup 'buttermilk' (6 oz coconut milk yogurt plus 2 oz rice milk, or your alternative)
1 egg
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp honey

Preheat oven to 400*. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. In a large measuring cup, thoroughly blend all liquids. Pour liquids into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour batter into loaf pan (prepared with oil if not silicon) and bake 20-30 mins until top is golden brown and toothpick tests clean when inserted into center of loaf. Turn out and allow to cool slightly before slicing. 

Enjoy!                                            

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment