Monday, November 25, 2013

Oil and Vinegar Potato Salad

It has been an exceptionally crazy, busy month here at my house this month too. I truly never imagined, before becoming a mom, how crazy and unorganized life would be with a 2 year old. Not to mention that I have been without my smart phone for a week now. While attempting to wrangle the little bugger I dropped my phone on a slate step.....the screen cracked and went black.....You really never know how much you depend on technology until you are without it. I have a loaner phone from Verizon at the moment. It is a flip phone that does nothing. I can make calls and text, with difficulty mind you, as this phone makes me feel like I am stepping back into 2001. I miss my phone.....luckily I bought the insurance on it and should have a new one soon...I hope...
I have so very many pictures, both of our son and the food I have photographed, trapped on that dead phone....

Now on to the recipe. I have meant to post this recipe for a while now. This past summer I went to our cousin Kristin's house for a family BBQ. She and her husband Vin throw a BBQ party every summer and this was the first one I have actually been able to attend and I am so glad I was able to go. There is nothing better than spending time with family. And even though they live not so far from me, all of our lives are so busy we don't get to see each other that often. I brought this salad and inside out chocolate chip cookies. Since the party was outside in the summer, I chose this salad since there is no mayo in the dressing. This salad is perfectly safe being un-refrigerated for a few hours as opposed to a traditional potato salad with a mayo based dressing. I am so glad I chose this recipe. It is sometimes risky making and bringing a dish to share if you have not tried the recipe before, but every one loved it and it did not last very long.


This was so very yummy. I encourage you to try it. 





Oil and Vinegar Potato Salad
1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and left whole
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1/2 t sugar
1 t garlic powder
3 t spicy brown mustard
1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
1/4 C olive oil
2 T chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Cook potatoes in large pot of salted boiling water until tender, about 30 min. Drain. Cool about 10-15 min until you can handle them; peel potatoes. Cut potatoes in half then in 1/3” slices. Place warm potatoes in large bowl and add sliced onion. In a small bowl combine red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, olive oil, and mustard; stir until sugar dissolves, then drizzle over potatoes. Toss to coat. Add parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss well and marinate at least 20 min and up to 2 hours at room temp.
(Adapted from Bon Appetite Magazine)


Enjoy!                                            
Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment