Monday, October 21, 2013

Apple Fritters

Wow. It has been almost a month since my last post. Earlier this month our toddler turned 2. We went home to Maine for his birthday party with family we don't get to see very often. Now there is an abundance of new toys strewn about our living room from his birthday. Lately he has started to actually sit and pay attention to the television for brief moments and he is loving the Bubble Guppies on Nick Jr. They are very cute and actually educational. In fact as I sit here typing this he is sitting on the floor watching them. He has also decided to delay his nap as long as possible and now isn't ready for bed at night until 10-10:30....yikes. Hopefully I can get that sorted out and fixed ASAP. Who knew life with a 2 year old would be so incredibly busy? I certainly didn't.

Well, back to the apples. We don't often eat donuts at my house. While they taste so good they are not so very good for you. Laden with carbs and sugar and not to mention fried.....
My goal here was to create a doughnut like treat that was relatively healthy. We are trying to make-over some of the yummy, not so good for you treats with less sugar and wheat flour for an added  fiber boost. And while my husband and toddler can drink milk with no issues, I on the other hand can not have too much dairy as it makes me feel very ill. So I am experimenting with unsweetened almond milk in place of regular milk for some things. While they are still fried, these apple fritters have very little sugar or butter and I used unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk which bumps up the calcium content.They were a nice little breakfast treat. And toddler approved! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. 

Does anyone have any go-to things your kids love to eat? Or anything you would like to see Sue and I make? Or maybe even make-over so it's a little healthier?

Our toddler loves strawberries. They went nicely with the apple fritters. 

You don't have to use the powdered sugar, but it did add a nice little extra touch of sweetness since there is very little sugar in the recipe itself.






Here's the recipe:


Apple Fritters
1 C all-purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/8 t salt
1 1/4 t baking powder
2 T brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1 large egg, beaten
2 T melted butter
1 t vanilla
1 C unsweetened almond milk
1 large McIntosh apple, chopped
powdered sugar
oil for frying
Heat oil to 375*F (use amount needed for electric fryer or about 3 inches in a Dutch Oven). In a large bowl combine all ingredients through apple and stir just until combined. Scoop batter with a muffin scoop about 1/2 full and gently drop into hot oil. Fry about 3 min each side. Test one after your first batch is done and adjust frying time if needed. The larger your fritters are the longer they will take to cook. Fry in batches. (with the size of my fryer I was able to do 4-6 at a time) Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
I got 24 fritters.


Enjoy!                                            
Sandi 

No comments:

Post a Comment