Friday, September 27, 2013

Peach Oat Wheat Muffins

What to do with a handful of ripe peaches... Hmm, not enough for pie... I bet they'd be good in muffins! If I push them through the baby food mill I should have something similar to the texture of mashed bananas (and I won't have to peel them first) that should work! On a side note - this baby food mill is one of my new favorite gadgets, I think I will keep it around even after baby doesn't need it anymore...

I especially love to have fresh hot muffins for breakfast, but I find lately that it just takes too long to get them ready for breakfast. Even though one of the great things about muffins is how quickly they come together, with my newly mobile little guy cruising all over the place it isn't happening for me. So I decided to try getting everything ready the day before I wanted muffins, and then just stir and bake for speedy breakfast.

I used a mason jar for the liquids, and combined the dry ingredients in a bowl that I could cover. You could really use any airtight container for the liquids, but I happen to always have mason jars on hand, and they feature the added bonus of measurement lines so I didn't have to use separate measuring cups.

Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a resealable container or bowl that you can cover with plastic wrap; set aside. Combine peach puree, (rice)milk, egg, and vanilla in a mason jar or other resealable container (for easiest method, use a container that seals well so you can just shake it to combine rather than needing to whisk) and refrigerate until you're ready to make breakfast.

Then, in the morning, preheat your oven to 400* first thing. Stir together the dry ingredients, shake your jar of liquids and pour it in, then stir everything until just combined. Spoon into your muffin pan (greased or papered if you need, my silicon pan doesn't need...) and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out mostly dry. A few moist crumbs on the toothpick are ok with these muffins, because the peach puree will stay moist even when they are fully baked. Remove to a rack and enjoy your fresh hot muffins for breakfast!

I really love to use oats in muffins for the taste as well as the added texture. These didn't seem to have as much peach flavor as I expected, but they were quite good!

And here's the recipe:

Peach Oat Wheat Muffins
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
1 C old fashioned oats
1/4 C brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 C peach puree (you can supplement with unsweetened applesauce if you are a little short)
1/2 C (rice)milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Combine dry ingredients in a med-large bowl, cover and set aside. Combine peach puree and other liquids in a mason jar or other resealable container, refrigerate until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 400* and prepare your muffin pan as needed. Stir dry ingredients; shake or whisk liquids and pour into dry mix; stir just to combine. Spoon into muffin pan and bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out mostly dry. Remove muffins to a rack to cool. Store leftovers in airtight container.

Enjoy!                                            
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment